Sunday, October 28, 2012

#123. or, Par

  I'm having some trouble trying to stay on track in regards to doing the things that I need to do to get healthier. I've been trying to work toward some goals in this round of the Pish Posh 8 week Challenge, but honestly, I'm not doing all that well.

 It's not like I set myself up for failure with unachievable goals. I mean, just now, I looked back at the post that I started this whole thing with, and I was shooting for 7 pounds. Yet, I'm about the same weight that I was when I started.

  Par.   (pär)   An equality of status, level, or value; equal footing:

  It hasn't really been the peachy-ist 8 weeks that I've ever had. I've been running through them (figuratively, not literally.) with long hours, little sleep at times, and the majority of my meals eaten out of a lunch box while I drove a tractor or a combine.

  That being said, I've been reading the posts of the others in the challenge and there isn't anybody who doesn't have a struggle of some type going on. That's pretty much why we're here. To try fix something.  Do something better. Be a better person.  Did I do that? I don't know? I feel the same. Maybe a little more tired. I was able to squeeze going to the track once. Once in the last 8 weeks. But when I was there, I did a little better than I thought I would. So that's good.

  But like everyone else in the challenge, I'm aware of what I need to do. The goals are still there. Hopefully, I can get caught up with things, get back into a schedule where I can take the time to make a better lunch, perhaps eat a few more vegetables. Or maybe get to the track 2 or 3 times in a week.

 The goals are still there. It isn't my plan to stop trying when the challenge ends. I've still got targets for Christmas, and the end of January. Targets that I intend to achieve.

  But for now.....I'm par. If this was golf, that would be pretty good.





  

19 comments:

  1. Kenny you need to forget the track. Just do a few laps around the cows watering hole. Will save you time and gas of going to town for the track. Plus as a bonus you can do this in your gum boots or winter boots. That otta make the challenge even harder and thus burn off more calories. LOL! But I am with you in spirit. I too struggle with the durn weight demon.
    Best wishes! ~ Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think about trying that. Doing my running through knee deep snow, chopping firewood from trees dragged from the bush by hand. Like Rocky training in Siberia to fight Ivan Drago.

      Then I remember that I'm actually pretty soft and drive to town to the track.

      Delete
  2. Par isn't so bad. It's certainly better than backsliding. Don't be too hard on yourself, my friend. I've been reading your posts and you've had a lot on your plate. That was a bad metaphor, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't so bad. I actually miss eating off of a plate. It will be nice to get back into a regular schedule and not have to eat out of tupperware on my lap.

      Delete
  3. Par is good. Any kind of big change takes a few tries, and sometimes a bit of extra luck to make it happen. We have to be trying, and keeping our eyes open for it.

    And we can't be going hell-for-leather like that, battling time and the elements to make ends meet. Glad it's over, but it was interesting while it lasted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was interesting. I hope to try to take all of the good things and carry it forward. We'll see how it goes.

      Delete
  4. That's right -- at least you're not gaining! You're holding your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that if I hadn't been in my mind to get into better shape these last 8 weeks, I may very well have gained. So that's not too bad

      Delete
  5. You are right! Think golf. But think of each day as a fresh start. And don't ever beat yourself up about it. Keep after it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'll keep going. It would have been nice to see some improvement over the challenge but it is what it is. It seems that winter might be my optimum time for being able to do anything like that. I think it might be that there's so many hours of dark? You can either sit on the couch and eat crap and watch nothing on TV or get up and do something. Hopefully, it will be the, get up and do something.

      Delete
  6. You're right, we have all struggled. I know I have with staying on course with my fibre filled eating. Change is hard. But I think being able to admit to yourself that change is needed and doing your best to figure out when that change can take place is a good place to be.

    You can't change if you don't see the problems. I see them and most days I do well. Do I fall off the wagon lots. Oh yeah. But I also get right back up and ride on!

    You're working hard for your farm, your family, and yourself. Hard work is hard work no matter which way you slice it, sometimes taking on that little bit extra is just a little too much! Just remember to reward your body when all is said and done. Like a glass of water instead of a can of beer. Little things.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right of course. And I know that when I get the time and into the swing of things, the exercise will feel like like the reward and I'll begin to crave that instead of sugary crap.

      ......and the beer.

      Delete
  7. Par is better than over par, right? Not a golfer, but what I'm trying to say is that at least you didn't gain!

    We for sure are going to do a virtual 5k, so you can add that to your list of goals for the upcoming winter :) We can tweet it out while we run! Maybe we can get some other people to join us, too. It'll be so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be pretty cool if there were others who would want to join in. Maybe we could get something started here? The first annual Blogger V5K! :)

      Delete
  8. If you are going to do a Blogger 5K, I'm in! We've established we are very much on the same page of being overwhelmed and consumed right now with work and deadlines, etc. and I have not done ANYTHING for myself health-wise during that time (except took a very liberating run on the beach). THAT is going to change, and I do have a post along those lines soon. It's always soon, isn't it?

    So Blogger 5k? Should I rejoin Twitter to participate? That would be very cool to join in with you and Kianwi.

    Incidentally, my post upcoming will include my declaration of 'No Excuses November'. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, my friend!

      The Blogger 5K was actually something that I tossed at Kianwi the other day to see if she might be interested. We're going to have to have a bit of a chat to go over how it might work, but I think it might fun. I'll let you know what's happening. Don't sign back up just yet, unless of course you want to. :)

      It would be cool to have somebody do it from a beach somewhere!

      I'm intrigued by your No Excuses November. I can't wait to see the post.



      Delete
  9. Good luck in reaching your goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachael. For the support and the visit. :)

      Delete
  10. The main thing is to not give up, you are on the right track, you know what you want and you are striving to get there, and with this said I have faith you will reach any goal that you are shooting for.

    ReplyDelete