Friday, March 30, 2012

#65. or, cats and dogs

  I'm not really a cat person. I tolerate cats. Probably a lot more than cats tolerate me. I can see the argument for cats as pets, especially if you live in the city. They are independent. If you have to leave for the day to go to work, cats are perfectly happy to spend the day doing what they do, all by themselves. Plus, cats will crap in a box. That's a pretty big plus if you have a pet in the house. That being said, i'm pretty sure that if they had opposable thumbs, cats would be going through your underwear drawer the second that door closes on your way to work.

  The internet also loves cats. I guess they're cute and cuddly. They also are very flexible and quite often, you can get a picture of a cat in some sort of compromising position, then add some witty caption, put it on the internet, and get a lot of hits.

  Still, i like cats. Barn cats. In fact, i can say that the most favorite cats that i have ever had in my life, lived in the barn. They serve a purpose there, catching mice. I'm more than happy to occasionally shower a barn cat with affection when she drops a carcase of a mouse at my feet that she hunted out of the barn.

  I'm a dog person. Where i like cats, i love dogs. I don't think dogs are getting enough love on the internet. ( although, that just might be in the circles i've been travelling in lately.) Now, i'm the first to admit that my views are pretty biased here, but i think that dogs have way more loyalty than cats. I've seen dogs morn over the loss of a partner. I've seen dogs so happy to see you home from shopping that you think they are going to explode. My dog would fight to the death to protect one of my children, and come and put his head in your lap when you just feel shitty. In my opinion, dogs are way more in tune with our emotions than cats are.

my dogs. they have bodies as well

  Now, granted, where i live, all of our pets spend their time outdoors where they can run and play and roll in dead things. If i lived in town, i probably wouldn't own two big dogs. They need to get out and explore things. That being said, our yellow Lab would make the transition quite well as he is more than happy to think he is a lap dog. He's happy anywhere, as long as we're happy.

  .............these views are mine. Truly, i don't want to say that dogs win over cats or vice versa. We had most of a cat that lived in the barn, but i haven't seen him since the fire and i'm pretty sure he didn't make it. Although, when you are only most of a cat, you learn to be quite sneaky and if he showed up again some time, i wouldn't be surprised at all.

6 comments:

  1. This was some pretty good writing! I enjoyed reading and love the pics of the dogs and glad to know that they have bodies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm pretty small potatoes here so to get a nod and a follow from such a popular blogger such as yourself is quite the compliment. Thanks so much :)

      Delete
  2. I grew up with cats. I loved my cats so much. They meant a lot to me. I loved them as pets and family members - but cat family member. Now I have a dog. And I love my dog as a person. I'm not trying to say that dogs > cats, but they are DIFFERENT. Cat love and dog love just isn't the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Both make fine pets. I just think that when you really get the chance to connect with a dog, there's things they pick up from you that even people don't see in you sometimes.

      Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm a cat lover and we have five of them, but I grew up with dogs too, and loved them as well. You are right that they are more affectionate in a slobbery sort of way. Cats are more independent but want to hang close and will fight over who gets to occupy lap space with the loser sulking in a corner. I'll take a cat or dog over most people, they are more loyal and have fewer negative things to say, and on a bad day when you're grumpy they still love you! Great post! I'm truly enjoying your blog, some good stuff here!

    ReplyDelete